Saturday, August 28, 2010

Good-Bye City House, Hello Lake Cottage

The entire month of August I have been on the move. The baby and I have been transplanting our little life from the city to the country.  In the past I embraced a semi-nomadic life and tended to move every two years. Someone mentioned to me that the lifetime average of homes a person will make is around seven.  With this move I have reached home number 11.  And my little blueberry is already on house number two. 

My family was very concerned when I moved to the city.  Worried about crime. I lived on a nice street where the other houses maintained better lawns than I did.  Most people worked or were retired on my little city street.  People on my street looked out for each other and their homes.  Was there crime around us? Sure.  But on my street the hub-bub was the family of raccoons that made a home in my garage.

I will miss my first house. My first home for my baby.  I went kind of crazy trying to make everything perfect for his home delivery. His nursery had the imprints of several family members that pulled together to make it just right.  My father painted a free crib ( and left his finger prints and smudges in the paint---which I feel is endearing), my mother made the curtains, E's dad painted the room ( cutting it with a tiny paint brush), my sister found the most beautiful mobile ( and made sure that the new baby would have everything he would ever need), and I painted eight paintings for his first room. Six of them were based on the story and illustrations of Charlotte's Web (you can see the portrait of Goose in the corner). I read E.B. White's classic while my blueberry floated and kicked within.

And now we are almost moved into our small cottage. Living together as a family with my blueberry's father.  Giving it all our best to live among  my mountain of books and art supplies in order to create a place of love for my blueberry heart.

Trust me---we are all tired from the move.
And ready to let our little family's roots grow.

3 comments:

  1. i also have moved 11 times and now we both have settled down for the long haul...time to enjoy the little things in life.......

    Lt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I alas have only moved 9 times. Guess I have a few more times to get under my belt to catch up. good thing I'm the youngest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place you made for him to start his life. You are so creative, I am sure you will make the cottage just as special.

    ReplyDelete