Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Baby Book


I am a reader. I adore books.  The worst part of when I move from place to place is the transporting of my massive collection of books.  My family would gladly pay someone else to hull my library load to my new abodes.  Fiction, art books, pop up books, graphic novels---a cornucopia of nerdy delights. For years every payday guaranteed a trip to the book store. My budget was spent on eating books instead of filling my refrigerator.  I even have a nice eclectic selection of children's picture books.  All purchased over the years when I thought I would never be a mom only maybe an awesome aunt.
It has been almost a year since I have spent quality time in my preferred local book store.  A place where they knew me by name and what tasty hot beverage I preferred at the store cafe. There was even more than one time that I had helped customers looking for a book that the employees had difficulty locating.
It was my hobby. My home away from home.
For my blueberry's six month birthday I ventured back to my beloved store. As soon as I entered my old stomping grounds my agenda became skewed.  Instead of E's present my hands became full of other necessities: two feminist magazines that I miss, a discounted art book, a book on organic gardening, and a travel guide for Washington, D.C.
My arms began to ache from the load as I stood in line at the cafe waiting to place my order with whipped cream and chocolate shavings on my mind.
But before the barista asked me for my order----something caught my eye. Primary colored board books for babies.  As I waited I put down my load any began flipping the pages and felt my world come back in to focus.
I left the line before I place my order. I put each of the desired pieces of reading back in there home to await someone else to pluck their goodness from the shelves.
My destination was the children's book department.
For two hours I savored all the books for little ones.
And I thought about my mom.
My siblings and I always had new shoes at the start of every school year.  My mom?  She wore the same tired dusty blue Nikes for years and years.  In the summer she pulled out the same pair of flip flops again and again. For all special occasions  her bright red dress with the white piping would appear. My mum always put us first.  Even though I had disdain for years for her Nikes she made us feel special. Loved.
And so for E I found books that I hoped he would love.
In fact we read the book about Elmer the patchwork elephant three times on his six month birthday. 
I have the precious board book memorized....as well as the look on my blueberry's face every time we open the book.
I am thankful that I put my stack back and left the coffee line in order to make my E smile.
I am thankful for my mom and all the sacrifices she made to make me smile.

1 comment: